Display advertising is the mode of digital marketing whereby various visual forms of advertising are used including banner ads to advertise various products and services on different channels like social media, websites, and apps.
In this blog post, we’ll learn about display ads how they grab the attention of the audience by targeting mechanisms, types, and benefits of incorporating display advertising in the online marketing strategy for any business.
What Is Display Advertising?
Display advertising includes graphic, and text banner ads. Display ads appear in some specific areas of the website and social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Display advertising comes in different forms, which include Banner ads, rich media, interstitial ads, and Video ads. However, the core idea revolves around a similar concept. While your display ad can just be based on plain text, but if you are incorporating, HTML5 animations, images & videos, they can very much attract customers in huge numbers.
There are a number of other factors that would decide the fate of your display ads and display advertising. This form of advertising is highly potent to drive better traffic and hence enhance the conversion rate. In fact, display advertising is the most effective form of digital advertising.
Display ads, the lucrative form of online advertising, usually use a SMART combination of GIFs, texts, videos, and images to grab the attention of online surfers. It provides a clever way of putting across the message any brand wants to convey. And, there is the shape, size, design, and the language to convey the brand message.
So, now that you know what is display advertising, let’s talk about it in detail. Here we go:
Display ads come in different shapes and sizes for different platforms. Based on the platform where it is being showcased, the shape, size, and design of your display ad will vary. Let’s see different forms of display advertising brands use to advertise their products.
Banner Ads: This is one of the oldest and the most traditional forms of online advertising, which you see on the top of any website showcased in the form of a banner.
Video Ads: Various online channels like social media (Instagram, Twitter & Facebook) have had put forth efficient platforms for online advertising. Video ads play an important role while advertising any service or product. These ads provide a great avenue to convey your message across and more so on a personal level.
Interstitial Ads: These ads come in the form of website pages that display, which appear before the web page which was actually requested.
Rich Media: This form of display advertising includes video, audio, and other interactive elements.
In addition to display advertising, native advertising is another form of keeping across your message in front of the audience and keeping them into the loop. This approach is something that works by presenting to the audience with engaging & interesting content, which looks blended into the environment in which it is placed. Read our latest blog post here to know more about Native advertising.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Display advertising:
So, more like many other forms of online advertising, Display advertising also has its own advantages & disadvantages. Before actually diving into various methods of display advertising, it is important to understand its advantages and disadvantages.
Let’s get started:
Advantages of Display advertising:
- As is the case, display advertising is created in different shapes and sizes. Also, there are a number of formats in which they can be presented. As per your requirement, you can choose a format for the success of your advertising campaign.
- You can choose right from your Google ad account from its millions of formats. That does not have to be rocket science to reach your target audience.
- With the help of Google Display Network, you can place your audience wherever you want so that it appears only in front of the right audience. You can choose the demographics, and also make use of geo-targeting.
- Google Ads can help with everything from measuring the clicks to impressions to the conversion rates. And, you can also use Google Analytics for more granular tracking.
Disadvantages of Display Ads:
- Many display ads are obtrusive in nature because of which most audiences ignore these ads, which results in decreased click-through-rate. This phenomenon of continuously ignoring display ads is called “Banner Blindness”. If you wish to learn more about banner blindness and how to overcome it, we have got you covered.
- Over the last year, ad blocking has also become prevalent. People want to concentrate only on the place where they have come looking for.
- However, even when there are drawbacks that exist around, Display advertising still works if you are doing it right. In our next blog, we’ll talk about several useful techniques and tips you can use with your display ads to drive traffic and generate better ROI.
While a number of marketers think that Display advertising no longer works with many new techniques in the digital marketing landscape like native advertising. However, In reality, Display ads can still effectively convert and get a positive impact on your business. And, when coupled with other forms of online marketing techniques, Display advertising can boost the performance of your business like never before.
At AdMedia, we strive to help our clients with Display ads that capture users’ attention, are eye-catchy, interesting, and targeted — you can get to your goal effortlessly. We make sure every Display ad has strong graphics and targeted content that can leave a larger impact on the audience. Display advertising is all about getting the targeting right, and it’s like half the battle won.